Dive Guide Program
Do you dream of leading certified divers underwater, or do you want to take the first step towards becoming a scuba instructor? Maybe you just want to improve your diving skills. Whatever your reason, becoming an SSI Dive Guide is your first step to becoming a dive professional.
There is a strong demand in the recreational scuba industry for passionate individuals who can share their love of the sport and the underwater world with others.
The Dive Guide program trains you to be a well-prepared, versatile and marketable dive professional, and is the first step on the path to becoming an SSI Open Water Instructor.
This program is intended to be a fun and challenging learning experience. It presents ideal-case scenarios designed to train you to make intelligent, informed decisions. You are expected to ask questions and to take an active role in the training process. Your basic dive skills and knowledge will be refined and tested as you develop into a capable and professional dive leader.
Dive Guide training develops your leadership abilities, qualifying you to supervise dive activities and assist instructors with student divers. Begin your diving career working as a Professional Dive Guide or continue your qualification up to Divemaster.
The Dive Guide program has three components:
Digital Learning: SSI developed this program using modern Educational Management System (EMS) technology. It is designed to provide you with the knowledge required to become a Professional Dive Guide in an easy-to-understand, logical sequence.
Academic Sessions: These include lectures, instructor-led workshops, and other interactive activities. They are designed to apply the knowledge gained from the Digital Learning in a practical, real- world environment. By completing these sessions, you will gain an understanding of what it takes to become a Dive Guide.
Practical Application Sessions: This is the final component of your training, where you will further develop the skills and experience required to act as a Dive Guide. You will learn to evaluate dive sites, conduct Pre- and Post-Dive Briefings, and to lead groups of divers in a variety of environments.
The Dive Guide program is conducted over five full days. It can be adapted into a multiple-weekend format or several evening sessions, it is also possible to conduct the academic sections remotely via Zoom. We can also provide options for accommodation during your training, contact us for details.
Be the best - become a Sub Aquatic Specialist with our signature training method and internship - enquire for more information.
- Online eLearning, academic sessions & in water training
- Dive cylinders and weights provided during training
- Final exam
- SSI professional registration fee
- Dive Guide pack including slates
- Light refreshments during your course
- Dive club membership
- Student pro rates on new equipment purchases from us
- CV preperation and job placement assistance
- On going support throughout your career in the industry
- Minimum age: 15 years old. (Must be 18 years old to work as an active status Professional Dive Guide).
- Have a Diver Stress and Rescue certification or equivalent.
- Have at least 40 dives to begin the course and 50 for certification·
- Recommended certified in Enriched air/Nitrox 40
- A React Right Primary and Secondary Care (or qualifying first aid and CPR training from another organization) course completion within the past 24 months.
- Have completed the following specialty programs or provide proof of experience by showing a minimum of five (5) logged experience dives in each of the following areas: Navigation, Night/Limited Visibility and Deep Diving.
- Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement (PDF) signed by a physician within the last 12 months.