There is a strong demand in the recreational scuba industry for passionate individuals who can share their love of the sport and the underwater world with others.
SSI Open Water Instructors are the backbone of the dive industry, teaching new divers to safely explore the underwater world, providing introductory courses to those who are considering a scuba certification, and teaching continuing education programs that create life-long and enthusiastic divers.
This program trains you to be a well-prepared, versatile and marketable SSI Professional, with the ability to provide high-quality training to entry-level and experienced divers alike. It is intended to be a fun and challenging learning experience that will present you with new skills and knowledge that will increase your abilities as an SSI Professional.
You are expected to ask questions and to take an active role in the Crossover process. We are excited you’ve chosen to become an SSI Professional!
Contact us HERE for booking your crossover date.
- Minimum age: 18 years old.
- Hold a current dive medical.
- Must have held an equivalent certification from a training agency within the last two (2) years.
- Must meet the minimum certification being crossed over.
- A dive master professional crossover candidate must have completed the Science of Diving knowledge and skill assessment.
- If a dive professional has been inactive with another agency for greater than two (2) years, they must follow the Returning to Active Status standards.
The Crossover program has three components:
Digital Learning: SSI developed this program using modern Educational Management System (EMS) technology. It is designed to provide you with the knowledge required to complete your training in an easy-to-understand, logical sequence.
Academic Sessions: These include lectures, instructor-led active learning sessions, and other interactive activities. They apply the knowledge gained from the digital learning in a practical, real- world environment. By completing these sessions, you will gain an understanding of what it takes to become an SSI professional.
Practical Application Sessions: This is the final component of your training, where you will further develop the skills and experience required by an SSI professional.
Since you’re already an Instructor or Divemaster, you only need to know how the SSI System and Philosophy function as well as the specific skills. We recognise that as a qualified Instructor or Divemaster you already know how to train divers or deal with certified divers. Our crossover is designed to familiarise you with the SSI Total Teaching System and the difference in our water skills. Enquire for more information.
ClassroomAcademic Workshop: 9 hours
- In-Water/ClassroomIn-Water Skills Workshop: 4 hours
- Academic Workshop: 2 hours
- Final Exam: 2 hours
- Summary and Closing Statements: 1 hour
- Online eLearning, academic sessions & in water training
- Dive cylinders and weights provided during training
- Final exam
- SSI professional status activation & registration
- Dive Instructor pack including slates
- Light refreshments during your course
- Dive club membership
- Student rates on new equipment purchases from us