Dive course terms and conditions
Theory – It's essential that you complete your online training before the course start date. This gives you time to think of any questions you may have, absorb some of the more technical information and allows us to progress through the theory sections as efficiently as possible. Failure to complete your theory means that you can't take part in the confined water sessions or open water dives. This could lead to the cancellation of your course without a refund.
Swim test – It is a requirement that you complete a swim test. You are required to:
Swim 200 meters (or 300m in mask, fins and snorkel) using any stroke with no time limit
Complete a float or tread water for 10 minutes in water which is too deep to stand.
Medical – Please go through the SSI medical Statement and answer all questions honestly and accurately. If you answer YES to any of the questions you MUST obtain a medical clearance certificate from a qualified Doctor before the course start as otherwise we cannot allow you into the water. Failure to do this before the course start date will mean that you are unable to take part in your course, and will be treated as a cancellation, thus needing to re-book a new course at full price.
Payment – Our prices are quoted with GST. All purchases are charged in New Zealand Dollars. You can pay by Credit, Debit card or direct account transfer. We use BNZ to process your credit card payments this means your order is safe and secure. We do not receive your credit card number at any point.
Changes of a course – We know sometimes things happen beyond your control, so we're more than happy to change your course dates free of charge with more than 21 days notice. Changes with less than 21 days notice will forfeit 50% of the original course fee. Changes with less than 7 days notice will forfeit 100% of the course fee. We do not accept change of mind cancellations.
Changes to course dates once your course has begun or switching courses are not possible, and refunds will not be issued should you choose not to, or be unable to, complete your course for any reason.
Cancellations, Rescheduling & No Shows
- No Shows’ are when you fail to turn up for a scheduled session without giving us any notice. Payments made for the session will not be refunded or credited to a future session.
- Should you need to reschedule a course or experience with less than the required notice period then a rescheduling fee will be applied.
- Rescheduling a course or experience after the start time of that session is classed as a ‘No Show’
- If SSI online training material has been issued $150 will be non refundable if course cancellation is made.
- If you are unable to attend a course, or part of a course and provide more than the required notice period for that course, we will endeavor to reschedule your course to another date that is suitable to you without any rescheduling fee. Any part payments made for courses will remain in credit on said account for up to 1 year from booking date.
- Failure to complete the full course requirements for any reason caused by the student will result in additional charges to complete the course at a later stage. This includes not being able to demonstrate competence to meet the performance requirements as laid down by the Agency Course Standards. If you are not willing to pay the additional fees to complete your course, a referral document will be issued to you, which will hold last for a period of 6 months from the date of last portion of the course completed.
- In the event that a situation arises and Aotearoa Dive is unable to deliver your course on pre-arranged dates, we will endeavor to give you as much notice as possible and will re-schedule your course. We reserve the right to cancel courses if diving conditions render student diving unsafe. Risk assessment controls will determine conditions to dive.
Open water diver cancellation policy
- Failed swim test: no refund on course material & cert fee
- Failed dive medical: we’ll give you a full refund provided this is brought to our attention 14 days before your course start date
- Drop out after 1 & 2 – NO REFUND W/O medical reason
- Drop out before dives 1 & 2: please chat to management for refund rates as these depend on what has been completed
- Charges for extra half/full day: $150
Our pro course deposits are non-refundable as this covers the course material
No refund if cancelled within 30 days
Weather - Diving is a weather dependent sport. Our experienced team will always make our decisions regarding suitable diving conditions with safety as our priority. We will always choose the best diving location available on the day. In the event that the weather is not suitable for any safe diving activities, we will postpone and offer you an alternative date/s. We regret that we cannot refund a partially completed course in the event the weather is not suitable on your desired dates.
Additional training – Our courses have a schedule that is designed to have the right balance between giving students time to learn and master their skills and progressing at an efficient pace, this suits most students. However, occasionally, some students need additional time to fully master the requirements of the course. In these circumstances, we are more than happy to arrange extra time with one of our instructors; our rate for additional one to one instructor time is $150 per person per session.
Minimum numbers - For all courses we have a minimum student numbers requirement for the course to run. For SSI Open Water Courses this is 4 students. For all other SSI recreational courses this is 3 students. In the event that minimum numbers are not met, you will be given the option of an alternative course date or a refund. For all SSI Technical dives courses the minimum student number is 1-2.
Language - All course materials, such as the manuals and exams, are available in several languages. However unless you have booked a course specifically advertised as being conducted in a particular language, all teaching is done in English. While our instructional team are very experienced at teaching students whose native language is not English, it is essential for your learning and ongoing safety that you are fully capable and competent in understanding spoken English. If you require materials in an alternate language to English make sure you contact us to discuss this.
Dates - All courses purchased for a specific date and not completed may incur an increase in cost which may have been implemented since the time of booking.
Please remember that you are booking a course, not a certification. There are several key performance requirements for all recreational and technical dive courses. If you do not meet the required performance criteria we cannot certify you.